Search This Blog

Thank you for checking out our website/blog. By journaling and updating this website we will attempt to keep friends and family up to date on what is going on inside our lives. Living with a terminal illness (ALS) and demonstrating how God is working in our lives to bring Him glory during this trial. We appreciate your gracious prayers and support during this season of our lives! We Love You All So Much!




My Favorite Music


Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Celebrating 13 years of marriage!




We just celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary yesterday. Eric and I met almost exactly 18 years ago at Michigan State University and I told my roommate that I had met the man I was going to marry. Five years later, we were married. I put some pictures from our wedding above to show you how young (and skinny) we were. Our wedding day feels like it was yesterday and it was one of the best days of my life. I have actually known Eric half of my life now.
We actually celebrated our anniversary last Friday by going to dinner with friends to Johhny Carino's to have steak since Eric finished his 28 day detox regimen last Thursday. It was very good food! The rest of our weekend was pretty quiet, mostly getting ready for an open house on Sunday. We got a new mattress on Saturday to help Eric sleep better. He has been struggling with sleep for quite a while now due to not being able to get comfortable so we picked out a quite firm mattress that is quite high off the ground too which is easier for him to get in and out of. We can add an adjustable base if we like sometime or get a wedge pillow for under the sheets if Eric needs to sleep elevated. The very first night on the mattress, Eric slept like a baby and has been since. This is hugely important because good rest gives him better energy for the day just as it does for everyone, but this is even more important for people with ALS because of the fatigue and more energy being exerted during the day. I am having a little harder time adjusting to our new mattress. Our old mattress was very soft and broken in and I am not quite used to the change hence the late blog entry. When I wake up, my mind starts thinking of my to do list or things like selling the house and where we will move to, etc.

We did have 7 families through on our open house with one who came back tonight who likes the house but needs to sell theirs. We also have another showing on Thursday night so it is picking up again and we are praying that the right buyer will be able to buy our home soon.

Other good news is despite losing another Angel Care worker last week, we had an interview yesterday with Visiting Angels and they hope to have someone out here this Friday to start so please pray that this new company and person would be a good fit for us.
Zach started football practice this week and is so excited to be on the team Gators this year with some of his best buddies. He is switching teams this year to help us with rides to all of the practices and he couldn't be happier how it turned out with all the kids he knows on his team. They are pumped up! We need to get some new gear tomorrow because the boy just shot up last year and keeps growing as does Maddie.
They are both excited to start school next Tuesday and we hope the transition goes smoothly as it is always hard as most of you know to move into earlier bed times and getting up and homework and sports, etc.
Many of you have offered to help us this past week and we really appreciate it. I promise I will try to ask for help when we really need it. Some days I don't know I need it until right at the moment I need it so I will try to plan ahead for things as I see them coming. My hope is that we will be moving soon and then we will need lots of help!
I hope you are all doing well and feeling blessed. I know we feel blessed every day. Eric wakes up every morning and says "another day to spend together" We say this all the time, but every day is truly a gift so make the most of today and be blessed!
In Him,
Lori

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep fighting like i know you have been
As Jimmy Valvano one said "Cancer (ALS) can take away all my physical ability. It cannot touch my mind; it cannot touch my heart; and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. Don't give up, don't ever give up".
god bless,
drew schemera
stamford, CT

Clarkers said...

Congratulations on 13 years!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary. Glad to hear that you had a good day. Hard to believe that you came into our lives 17 years ago Lori. What a blessing that was for our family. Love you lots Eric and Lori.
LOL
Sis

Anonymous said...

Eric and Lori, Happy Anniversary. 13 years! Wow. We are a rare breed these days aren't we! We are so happy for you. Love the pictures. We'll have to show you ours sometime. It does seem like yesterday but my Mullet says otherwise :) Love you guys.
Aron/Sue Dietzel

Family is FOREVER

Family is FOREVER