Search This Blog

Thank you for checking out our website/blog. By journaling and updating this website we will attempt to keep friends and family up to date on what is going on inside our lives. Living with a terminal illness (ALS) and demonstrating how God is working in our lives to bring Him glory during this trial. We appreciate your gracious prayers and support during this season of our lives! We Love You All So Much!




My Favorite Music


Monday, July 27, 2009

Continuing the Fight...







No matter what in life, there are no guarantees. In God's word it does not say if you're a beliver or a follower of Christ that life will be smooth and easy. Rather, you can be assured that because we live in a broken, fallen world there will be attacks of many kinds by the enemy (Satan). Now I know that to many of you reading this, this might be a foreign concept to you... Satan. Maybe you don't even believe that there's a real place called Hell. I am reminded in God's word that they are both accurate depictions of an actual place and spirit. I think it's difficult for most of us to fathom that they are real because we don't see them and can't touch them. But I am convinced they exist.

I am in the middle of a battle that the enemy wants to control and take me out. Yesterday I heard a sermon that the pastor talked about how Satan is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. He talked about how lions look for the weak, the sickly, even those who are not aware they are being stalked (they are complacent or over confident). I think that this is a good lesson for all of us to stay alert by staying in prayer, continuing to be in fellowship with other followers of Christ, to be in the Word, remembering on a daily basis to guard ourselves and put on the full armor of God.

This weekend a friend of mine picked Zach and I up and took us downtown to the inner city church mission where we help out a ministry caring for the homeless and anyone hurting on the streets of Grand Rapids. One thing I'm amazed at is how no two weeks are ever the same. God works in so many incredible ways. I realized after talking to about 4 or 5 people that there is no difference between me and them. They have hurts that are similiar to my hurts. They feel lonely at times, I feel lonely at times. They feel like they can't go on because of the struggles they face, and I feel the same way. There is a difference though. I have something that they need. And God reminded me of this - they need Jesus. With Christ living inside of me I have the hope and peace that only He gives. So, I decided that I need to encourage these people of this. They were very open and wanted me to pray with them.

I feel that a lot of the people I meet have all sorts of religion. They know the bible, they know scriptures, but for many of them they are misguided because they continue in their sin of alchohol abuse, drug abuse, etc. that the enemy has a stronghold over them with in those areas. They need to release those chains that have been binding them up for so long. They need to make a decision to have the living Saviour come dwell in their heart. There's more to having just head knowledge of Him and the scriptures. Christ wants a personal, intimate relationship with each one of us.

For example, when I think of my best friends, I think of what is it that has made them become my best friends... it is because we have spent time together developing that relationship. We talk, we've been though good times and bad times, we give each other advice, we bounce ideas around, we make memories together. That is what Christ wants from us - to develop and intimate relationship with Him. He does not want us to go through the motions just sayin we know "of" Him. He desires a real and intimate friendship.

On Saturday, I noticed one gal that was in line getting soup and supplies. She was not happy and very impatient. By the comments she was making, I could tell that she was having a hard time and was struggling with something. I went outside to invite more people in to the church. A little while later, she came outside and my friend C.B. and I stuck up a converation with her. There was something noticably different from the time I had first seen her in the line and now. We talked with her and encouraged her. She even let us pray with her. Later on, we gathered as a group of workers to discuss what we had seen and experienced that day. We prayed that the seeds that God planted that day would take root and we would see much fruit from the efforts. One of the workers shared that she had the priviledge and honor of leading a homeless woman in the prayer of salvation. It was the same woman that C.B. and I had spoken with. This is an example of God working through a handful of people that are faithful and obedient to His will. My prayer is that Laquita would continue to develop that intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. Please pray for her and the many others that are hurting all over.

I wanted to also say how proud I am of my son Zach. When I asked him if he wanted to go downtown, he gave me a resounding "Oh yeah!" I amazed at my son, being 12 years old, desiring to be used by God in this way. Walking the streets, talking with homeless people, encouraging them of the hope that we have in Jesus Christ. What father would not be proud of their son or daughter who had this same desire. Zach is a big help to the entire group and is learing a lot about people and circumstance in this life. He relealizes that there are no guarantees in this world we live in and that we should not take for granted all that we have by Gods' grace. We are truly blessed and Zach and I have talked about that on my occasions. Zach has seen God work in extraordinary ways the last few years, as we all have. I cannot be prouder of him than I am right now. He is such a good and wonderful kid.

This weekend we had an unexpected guest call and come over... my brother and his family. It was a wonderful visit. We had such a great time with him, Erica, Kaitlyn, and Emma. We went and saw a movie (G-Force) and the kids liked it. I fell asleep... that tells you how good it was from an adult stand point. I would recommend waiting until it comes out on video (just my personal opinion). Afterwards we grilled hamburgers and ate out and even made a bonfire cooking smores and doughboys. Unfortunately, I paid for this later on as I took in too much smoke. But I wanted to enjoy the time together with my brother and his family. So needless to say, it was a rough night of sleeping for me that night. I did a lot of coughing and was up quite a bit during the night which meant Lori didn't sleep much either. All in all, it was well worth it though.

I ran into an old friend of mine that two and a half years ago had been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. I had not seen him since then and was amazed to see that God had healed him of his symptoms. Praise God! I was encouraged by his attitude and for his encouragement towards me. He reminded me of the verse that was instrumental in him being healed. He said that this verse is his life verse:

Matthew 17:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.


I'm reminded that our faith is a powerful tool! I trust in the Lord for my healilng during this battle of ALS. I continue to fight the good fight and press on towards the goal. Perserverence is teaching me to lean on the Lord even more each and every day. God continues to chisel away the rough edges, everything that is not of Him!

Thank you for those of you who continually pray on our behalf. May the Lord continue to bless you and keep you.

Your brother in Christ,
Eric

1 comment:

chippy said...

Eric,
Wonderful, truth-filled post! I love it that God never gives up on us and He is always smoothing and chiseling us, making us more like His Son. In the end that is truely what is important to me, not the struggles or the situations but am I growing in Christ? Is my reflection His?
The part you wrote about Satan being a roaring lion has also been spoken to me in the past few weeks. What hits me about this is Peter's command to 'Stay Alert'. How and why is it that Satan is roaring and I'm not hearing it?! Have I become so used to his lies that they are like a comfortable white noice? Well I refuse to be anymore! I am staying alert and praying! Thank you for reminding me once again!
Our family has your family in our prayers!
-chippy townsend

Family is FOREVER

Family is FOREVER