Search This Blog

Thank you for checking out our website/blog. By journaling and updating this website we will attempt to keep friends and family up to date on what is going on inside our lives. Living with a terminal illness (ALS) and demonstrating how God is working in our lives to bring Him glory during this trial. We appreciate your gracious prayers and support during this season of our lives! We Love You All So Much!




My Favorite Music


Friday, April 23, 2010

To live is Christ, to die is gain

I was thinking I would wait to post until after the funeral, but I am not sleeping much and writing helps me process things. I think it will help all of you to know when you come to the visitation. I want to first say thank you for all of the love, support, prayers, food and notes of encouragement. Most of the notes all have encouraged me to stay focused on the blessing in this tragedy. I am so comforted that Eric is in heaven right now and when I get sad, I have to turn my thoughts to Eric in heaven seeing God face to face hearing "well done, good and faithful servant", singing at the top of his lungs praises to our God, dancing like a crazy man like he did when I met him in college 19 1/2 years ago. (He was one of those that you had to back up and make a circle around so he wouldn't knock you down), Playing hockey, football, basketball or baseball and encouraging the whole team, Eating the most savory of foods (by mouth), meeting and becoming instant friends with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Paul, John, David (oh, to imagine) and all the prophets and saints and his friends and family that have passed before him, laughing that laugh that we all miss, running circles around everyone in his new body, and seeing colors and things we can't even begin to imagine.
This has been a very emotional week as you can imagine, but I am already feeling his mercies new each morning and sensing the peace that passes all understanding. The day Eric went to be with the Lord, I didn't think I could possibly get through it, I was in shock and disbelief and then I had guilt and if only I did this or that and I thought it would take months or years for God to get me through these things. I need to tell you that I know it will take a long time to really stop hurting in my grief, but God has taken so much of my burdens and given me so much comfort that I couldn't have even imagined that came by the very next morning. Every day is such a gift to each of us and his mercies are new in the morning. This is the way that Eric lived each day and I will continue to trust in God for my strength.
May God's peace and comfort encircle all of you who dearly loved Eric too,
Lori

20 comments:

Stephanie said...

Beautiful! That's the first word that came to my mind after reading what you just wrote. Lori, you are such a beautiful and amazing person. And God is so amazing and gracious and loving. All the time He is good. We love you very much.

Sheila said...

Thanks for not waiting to write....your post made me laugh and cry. Cece said to me yesterday morning (out of the blue) "You think Mr. Fox is dancing today?" I was taken off guard, but I smiled and said "YES I am sure he is dancing today!" and we smiled thinking of it. We love you girl and your beautiful children.

anne said...

So good to "hear" from you Lori and so thankful to hear that God is continuing to prove Himself amazing to you in the saddest and hardest of times... I wish I were nearby to just hug you and let you know that we are thinking of you so often and therefore continuing to lift you and the kids up in prayer! We were blessed to know Eric and can only imagine the life He now has!!

Diane T said...

Lori, I don't personally know you and your family except through my daughter-in-law Kim, but my prayers and thoughts go out to you and yours. I know God has wrapped you in His Everlasting Arms.

Anonymous said...

It is an unknown road into the future - but it will lead you forward. Every day is a gift, indeed!
Take care

Unknown said...

God loves you so much. You are His sweet child and you make Him so proud.

Jilly said...

He will always be the angel that looks over us and makes sure that we all are doing right in life. I am sorry I cant be there since I live so far away but my mom and sister will be there. You are in my thoughts Lori and I know your a strong woman, you will get through this.

Brooke Veneman said...

Eric Fox
Godly,
Wonderful,
Loving,
Husband,
Father.
Those words are the words that describe him
Maddie Fox,
Zach Fox,
Mrs. Fox
Now without him.
If only the doctors could find a cure to this
Horrible,
Life taking,
Evil disease A.L.S. It hurts my eyes to look at those simple letters.
As if I might as well cry right here, right now.
But I can’t. If I do I’m afraid I won’t be able to stop. And plus, I need to be strong.
Strong for
My family,
Lori,
Zach,
Maddie
And everyone who ever thought once about him.
I know it is hard but I must not even have the thought in my head. The thought of
Crying.
It was God’s will so let it be.
The thought of crying disappears and then re-appears as if it is a frog hiding in a pond.
But I am sure I will se him someday.
A day when he is walking,
Running,
Leaping again.
One day in Heaven.
~Brooke Veneman~

Anonymous said...

My name is Michelle and I did not know Eric extremely well, I met him through our friend Matt Hetrick. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Your story is so touching and you are truly amazing! God is so awesome and is always there for us not matter what we face. God Bless you and your beautiful children.

aron said...

Eric was such an inspiration to me! He will be missed but he did indeed fight the good fight. We love you guys!

Aron said...

Eric is such an inspiration to me! His faith in God was Huge. Thank you Lori so much for keeping us all updated on a regular basis. It made us feel like family. I'm so glad I got to know Eric even for the short time that I did. He was a great example of Christ-likeness. I'm trying to picture him dancing now and I can't help but smile. We love you guys. Aron (for the Dietzel Crew)

Kelli TenHaken said...

His peace is powerful. Thanks for sharing your heart! You don't know me, but I know your family from Calvary and we are praying for you! Blessings, Kelli TenHaken

Sharon Chase said...

Lori--we'll all miss Eric, and I'm praying for you and Maddy and Zach during this time, that you will know that nothing can separate us from God's love. It's so good to know that we have been translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of his dear Son! In His grip, Sharon Chase

Anonymous said...

Your family has been through a hard journey. Your family has precious memories. May God continue to wrap his arms around you and give you peace...
Thinking of you,
Cec & Barb Harkema

Anonymous said...

You don't know me Lori, but I am a neighbor of Kristi. I have been praying for you and your family for a long time. You and Eric have had such a beautiful testimony thru all of this. Thank you for sharing it with us. I will continue to keep you, Zach and Maddie in my prayers.
Rita

Miriam Carpenter said...

Lori and children,
Your testimony and the faith that you have shown gives glory to our LORD.He never let's go ! May GOD comfort and hold you all thru this time.
I am thankful you gave me this blogspot to get know Eric better. You have been blessed by a wonderful husband and servant of Jesus. I will continue to pray for your family.
Miriam C.,RN Faith Hospice

Anonymous said...

Your family had a long difficult journey. Your family has wonderful memories together. May God continue to wrap His arms around you and give you peace.
Love, Cec & Barb Harkema

Jen said...

I hadn't visited the blog in a few days, and was saddened to see that Eric had passed away since the last time I was here. I've been following your journey the last several months and you've been in my thoughts and prayers many times - even though we've never met. I wish you, Zach and Maddie much strength and peace in these first few days without dear Eric.

sara koeman said...

Hello Lori~ I don't know if you remember me, but we met at gymnastics unlimited about a year or so ago. I opened the newspaper today and saw the loss your family has had. Then I just started thinking that life is beautiful and Eric was a very great guy. Then I called my step mother (Mary Vaughan), which has had contact with you a little bit awhile ago, and we just thought that ALS is just a crazy life changing thing. With my father having ALS GOD test us all for following in his foot-steps. To end this on going post... I would like you to know that you and your children will always be in my thoughts and prays. If there is anything that you guys need please just ask. Also just remember Eric may be gone from earth, yet he is always here all round everyone and everything. He was a very strong and special man. God Bless you and your children!!!!

Kerry Siereveld said...

Lori - my heart hurts for you and your family but what comfort we have knowing that Eric's in Heaven and in his new body. Please know that I've been thinking and praying for you guys since I've heard the news. Big hugs to you and your family!

Family is FOREVER

Family is FOREVER