Search This Blog

Thank you for checking out our website/blog. By journaling and updating this website we will attempt to keep friends and family up to date on what is going on inside our lives. Living with a terminal illness (ALS) and demonstrating how God is working in our lives to bring Him glory during this trial. We appreciate your gracious prayers and support during this season of our lives! We Love You All So Much!




My Favorite Music


Monday, March 31, 2008

GOD's IN CONTROL

The above photo reminds me that God is in definately in control...
I'm thankful that God is in control because even though I have an incureable disease (by man's thinking) ALS, He gives me such joy and peace as well as courage to fight this disease. Some days, though, are harder and it gets difficult to continue having my strength taken away all the while my mind stays intact. Sometimes I feel trapped inside this shell of a body. Those are the days that I have to lean on the Lord the most. I am reminded, in his word that…“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me…” (Psalm 23:4).

All I have is you Lord I need to shake off this bitterness and self-pity and be determined to press forward. With you God on my side, no weapon formed against you shall prosper. As I keep an attitude of faith and expectancy I will trust you for healing and strength.

I wish every day was Sunday, because I feel so blessed and full of strength after church at Wellspring. I am so encouraged by the worship, Pastor Gary's message, and a wonderful body of Christ that encourages me. The most amazing part though, is the presence of our Holy God. Sometimes I get lost and just want to stay right there… it's such a safe feeling.

A friend of mine, Drew S. from Connecticut, has this video on his site. (See below)
It gives you a better idea of what's to come with this disease. His friend Steve has a dream to build these centers/houses equipped especially for ALS patients. Maybe we will try to build one here in Grand Rapids, wouldn't that be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFmgQLG9X_o


If you could pray about some upcoming things:

Tomorrow I have to go to the ALS/MDA clinic for my six month checkup. They will see if there is a big change from when I went in September. They check my strength to see how much atrophy, and loss of strength that I have encountered since the last time I was in. They will also check my breathing to see how strong it is. Our prayer is that we would get a good report on my lungs and my breathing.
Pray for Lori, as she sometimes gets burned out and is finishing up taxes, planning a garage sale to help pay for the Born Clinic bills that we have accumulated before I received Social Security assistance, being a mom, being a caretaker for me, and so much more that it is easy for her to get stressed out.
Prayers for Gods healing and strength on my body.
Prayers for our kids to be able to handle and understand the upcoming changes of this disease.

Thanks so much for your love.


Your brother in Christ,
Eric


Last week was very busy. We had many appointments, but it was a good week. On Friday, we went to the VA clinic in Grand Rapids and met with the benefits coordinator after waiting 2 1/2 hours (first come, first serve). Some of you may not know that Eric is a veteran of the Persian Gulf War. He went to Saudi 3 months after we met and we were already in love. Praise the Lord that that war was over very quickly. He left in January and returned in April of 1991. Since Gulf war veterans have gotten ALS at a ration of 2 to 1 diagnosises, Eric's ALS has been deemed a service related disability. Because of this rating and his service in the Gulf war, Eric has certain benefits through the VA he would not otherwise have. We have applied for an adaptive housing grant and an adaptive vehicle grant. While these won't cover the cost of these things, we are so grateful to have them available and God will supply the rest. I am so thankful for Eric's service to this country and so proud of him for signing up in 1987 at the age of 17 to serve his country. He stayed in the military until 1994 and was honorably discharged. He even talked about resigning up after we had kids, and I selfishly said we need you here! This was when everyone was being deployed to Iraq as they still are now. Sometimes I think to myself, had Eric not been in the military, he may not have ALS. Then I remind myself that God is in control of everything in our lives. A good friend reminded me that God used a decision and a service in Eric's past to provide for Eric's future. When I think of a veteran, I think of my Grandpa telling me stories of World War II and someone who served in Vietnam who is a grandpa to someone. Now, the reality is veterans are younger than me because we are at war and my friend's children are going to war as Eric did in 1991. I know Eric is so loyal to our country and he supports our troops as do I. I didn't mean to go into all that, but I am so proud of my husband and grateful for God's provision to our family. Please pray for these grants to go through and to be expidited through the system and for the wisdom we need for decisions to come such as building or purchasing a zero step home and getting a vehicle and the timing of it all. Thank you again for your prayers. We have been experiencing God's joy and love through this all and couldn't do it without your prayers, support and love!

Love Lori

1 comment:

Clarkers said...

Hi Eric and Lori, just wanted you both to know that I am praying for you. I love the picture... I often think of a picture like this when I get overwhelmed and it helps to know that God is up there and he is holding everything in his hands. Nothing is too big or too small for him. I love this verse.. "Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched are. NOTHING is too hard for you." Jeremiah 32:17 God Bless, Leslie Clark

Family is FOREVER

Family is FOREVER