Search This Blog

Thank you for checking out our website/blog. By journaling and updating this website we will attempt to keep friends and family up to date on what is going on inside our lives. Living with a terminal illness (ALS) and demonstrating how God is working in our lives to bring Him glory during this trial. We appreciate your gracious prayers and support during this season of our lives! We Love You All So Much!




My Favorite Music


Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A rough day-only if you let be rough...


Well Tuesday started out as a pretty good day. I woke up the sun was shining, gave my wife and kids a hug, took a shower, got dressed, and then Lori and I took off for Battle Creek to the VA clinic. We had an evaluation scheduled for me with the doctors down there. I didn't really understand why but anyway a way we went we got there about a half an hour early, which is good for us, they were at lunch so we had to wait. After about 15 minutes after one o'clock, I asked them if there was a problem or if they're running behind because it didn't look like they were that busy. I gave them my name and social security number, and they looked it up in the computer. Then all of a sudden, they were like busy ants scurrying about in a couple minutes later I was in the exam room. The Chinese doctor that I saw was very meticulous but lacked compassion. It was very difficult for us to hear the words again and again, and the lack of hope that we heard in his voice. After that I got dressed and headed downstairs with the social worker. We received a lot of good news of all coverages and different things, but we also did an advance directive which was very difficult for Lori and I. We had to stop sometimes because tears came pouring down! It wasn't that Lori and I haven't been very realistic about this disease may be we suppressed the thoughts of life ending for me, whatever the case we had a hard time talking about the options in the later stages of this disease. On the way home. Lori and I talked and laughed a lot, but at one point, Lori started crying and said, "who is going to make me laugh when you're gone?" Honestly, I did not know what to say, but I just told her that everything was going to be okay.

When we got back to Grand Rapids we met with our close friend Mitch Barr, he had agreed to take me to the Detroit Pistons game. I'd gotten the two tickets from a good friend and neighbor Dave Maranka-his parents had the tickets from a church auction and they couldn't use them, so they've thought of us and asked me if I would like them... Of course! Thank you Dave for thinking of me, we had an awesome time! They had box suite seats it was incredible they had their own bathroom, tons of free food, pop, water, veggie trays, lounge area with TV, and the kitchenette. It was very private and the seats were great. The game got over with at 10 p.m. with the Pistons beating the supersonics 100-97. It was snowing and blowing really bad, it took us almost 2 hours just to get out of Auburn Hills. We didn't get home until 2;30 this morning! We were only able to drive 30 miles an hour until we got to Lansing due to the whiteout conditions and poor visibility. It was worth it I had a great time with my friend making a great memory and having time to talk and pray about the future!

I want to thank all of you who pray and continuously go before the Lord on my behalf to ask him for healing, strength, and long prosperous days of life on this earth!

I love you!

Eric

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"who's going to make me laugh when you're gone".........remember it's "if" not "when"

Family is FOREVER

Family is FOREVER